Friday, November 2, 2012

And then there were 5...again

I know..I need 5 like a hole in the head.  BUT this one needed us.
Meet Shane (Shannon Ace)
 He is 13 1/2 years old and was returned this week.  I don't anticipate him going anywhere.  He has previously lived a sub-par and unacceptable (IMO) life.  He has been kept outside or in a garage full time.  He has spent 13+ hours in a crate (in the garage) for many years and then spent the night in that same crate in the garage.  He came to us covered in fleas, filth and his own waste.  I do believe his owner felt she was doing all she could, but I do wish she would have contacted us earlier. 

So now he is in our pack.  He is flea free, clean, warm and has a full belly. 
He has his issues..years of living outdoors/in a garage setting made him incapable of 'holding it' so we are working on that.  I think he will get it soon enough. And he has no house manners..but since his 13 1/2 he can't really walk/jump so the counters are always on his mind but an unattainable feat.  He needs to gain about 10 pounds, but he eats like a horse so that should only be a momentary problem now that he is getting healthy food and supplements.
 I think he was pet on and given attention.  He loves it and seeks it constantly.  We are realistic and realize we wont' have him long, but we will make sure the next few weeks/months will be his best. He goes in next week for bloodwork, urinalysis, vaccines, heartworm check.  I know we didn't need a 5th nor another senior after our year.  But few have the situation we do who can take him without much worry.  His personalized embroidered collar is in the mail and I think Henry would be happy to hear his martingales/coats are going to be used for such a worthy individual.

I leave for Minneapolis on Sunday..and Jason leaves to visit his family for a few days. So Nerice and Scott will care for them while we are gone.  So timing wasn't great, but I am soooo glad he is with us now. 

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Bless you Trina and Jason! I love the note that you guys didn't need him, but he needed you. Inspirational! (And he's a cutie pie!)

Unknown said...

Bless you Trina and Jason! I love the note that you guys didn't need him, but he needed you. Inspirational! (And he's a cutie pie!)

genji said...

What a handsome fella. Can't wait to meet him.

IHateToast said...

This makes me so happy and sad at once. Don't tell me that you didn't need him. You did and do. Henry left a senior spot to be filled. And he's such a looker. Reeow

Hiking Hounds said...

What a beautiful boy! I'm so happy you were able to take him. It is so sad to think of any dog living like that. I'm sure Shane will absolutely love all the time he is able to spend with you and your pack.

Mad Red Hare said...

Thank you for taking this guy into your home. He will live out his life knowing what it is like to be loved. Yes, Henry would approve!

What Remains Now said...

What a handsome gentleman Shane is. I'm so glad that he will live out his days with your pack. You are an angel.

paula said...

Trina he is so beautiful and lucky to have found you in his later years.

Unknown said...

Beautiful!

Unknown said...

Beautiful!

Angela said...

Congratulations - he's beautiful and I'm so glad he's out of that situation and can enjoy life for whatever amount of time he has left!

Those Brindle Kids said...

Look at those eyes. He knows he's home and he's grateful. Bless you -

houndstooth said...

I missed this post somehow! Congratulations to you and to your new boy. He might end up surprising you, too!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

That just breaks my heart. :-( Fifth dog sounds like a great idea. :-)